Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sixlets Cake

I can't believe it's been like....two weeks since I posted anything.  I feel so lazy, ugh!!

I was going to post a lot more over spring break, but I had a terrible allergic reaction to a new sunscreen I tried and wasn't really able to leave the house for the entire week.  It was terrible and totally ruined the break, so I didn't really feel up to blogging.  Bummer!

Anyway, Friday was my mothers birthday.  We're pretty low key about birthday's in my family, usually going for some kind of family trip or just having a nice meal at home/in a restaurant.  We're really just not party people, I suppose:)

A few months ago, I posted this, where I detailed 10 dishes I was absolutely going to make this year.  I've already crossed off numbers 1 (stuffed Vidalia onions) & 4 (pasta aglio, olio, e peperoncino), but today I get to add a new one!

Ta Da!

Obviously, I'll never be a professional cake decorator, but it was sooo much fun to make and decorate.  I knew as soon as I saw this yummy, candy colored cake that it would be something my mom would go totally nuts for, and I was right!

Since it was her birthday cake, she picked the type of cake and I went with it.  She chose a lemon cake, and I added a raspberry liqueur buttercream frosting.  So tasty!

I really wouldn't actually recommend that you guys make this particular cake with the candy, because (in my opinion, at least), the flavors of lemon and chocolate just don't go together that well.


But hey, birthday girl gets to pick, right?

:)

The lemon cake is absolutely fabulous though, and perfect for summer.  If you or someone you love likes lemon, this is the perfect surprise!

Lemon Cake Recipe:

2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
Zest from 6 to 8 lemons (I used five lemons, and got roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of zest, which was   perfect)
3 cups cake flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (juice from about two lemons)
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla extract.

Don't be intimidated by the weird/lengthy ingredient list!


Instructions:

1) In one bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  In a second bowl, combine the lemon juice, buttermilk, and vanilla.

2) In yet another bowl, (this one attached to a mixer!) cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy (~5 minutes).  Add the eggs, one at a time, and the lemon zest while the mixer runs at medium speed.

3)  Alternately add your flour and lemon juice mixtures, beginning and ending with the flour.

The baking pans are totally up to you- the recipe calls for loaf pans, but I used a medium sized cake pan, sprayed it with cooking spray, and baked three layers for 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  As usual, check for doneness with a sharp knife or toothpick.  When it comes out clean, it's done!

If you want to rapidly cool, like I had to, slide the hot cake on a pan and find a shelf in your freezer that isn't near anything else.  Freeze the cake until it's about room temperature, and you'll be able to frost/devour the cake much, much faster!

Recipe found here.

Sixlets Cake recipe found here.




If you try, let me know how you like it!

Until Next Time,

Ashley

22 comments:

  1. I love lemon cake! Love lemon tart, lemon curd, everything with that stingy flavor =b

    http://myveryownoneyearproject.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, that cake looks delicious! And lemon is my favorite. Thanks for sharing the recipe :)
    Also, thanks for following! I'm following you back <3

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This looks so fun and delish.
    xo Annie
    newenglandromance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake looks very good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for stopping by sweetie, would you like to follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw that cake is too cute, and looks SO yummy :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! That cake looks amazing and sounds delicious. I'm really good at cooking...but baking isn't my forte at all :(

    xo

    http://catsandbrogues.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of the more difficult ones, but it's a goal to work for! Thanks for stopping by:)

      Delete
  8. Mniam;) i like this cake! thanks for visit:) stay in touch!:) regards!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cake sounds delicious. Very pretty too! Sorry to hear about the allergic reaction, sounds pretty rough xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy. I may just have to try this. Thank you for the lovely comment that you posted on my blog. I am now following you Darling. Keep in touch.

    weststreetglamor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. very pretty cake!

    Sophie x

    http://lafashionfolie.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

I read and respond to all my lovely comments. Leave a link to your blog so I can come visit! Thank you<3