Search This Blog

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Tacos & Spanish Rice

You know those taco kits you get in the grocery store?  The ones with the really, really salty taco seasoning?

Ugh.

Just thinking about it makes me feel dehydrated!

I'm on spring break this week, which means I'll be cooking huge, longer to make, and slightly more difficult meals.  How exciting, right?  ;)

Anyway, instead of using seasoning packets to make tacos and rice, my mother figured out the perfect combination of spices to use for the tacos.  The rice, I found the recipe to myself:)  Sooo delicious.

Speaking of which, this weather is crazy, isn't it? So hot, and only March!  To enjoy the lovely weather, we ate outside on the beautiful veranda.  Unfortunately, my parents had already started eating by the time I brought the rice out, so I didn't get any pictures of either the food or the pretty table.  Tomorrow, tomorrow.

Anyway, to the recipes!

Tacos:

Ingredients:

1 bag Morningstar veggie crumbles
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons dehydrated onion
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
1/2 cup water

Directions:

Prepare the veggie crumbles in a skillet, like you would ground beef (on the plus side, no need for any kind of oil!).  Add the liquids and stir in carefully.  Add the spices and stir again.  Turn the stove on high and let the excess liquid boil away.

Meanwhile (or way before, actually), you'll want to make the rice:

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped or put through a food processor
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups white rice
3 cups vegetable stock (I'm still a big fan of Better Than Bouillon)
1 big tablespoon of tomato paste
1 pinch of oregano (roughly half of a 1/4 teaspoon)
Salt to taste

Directions:

1. In a large skillet brown rice in olive oil, medium/high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook onion rice mixture, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes, or until onions are softened.


2. In a separate sauce pan bring stock to a simmer. Add tomato sauce, oregano, and salt. Add rice to broth. Bring to a simmer. Cover. Lower heat and cook 15-25 minutes, depending on the type of rice and the instructions on the rice package. Turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes.


The recipe is from this site.  




If I had had the time, I would have tried making it with brown rice, but I was a little pinched since we had just come from the grocery store. Tomorrow, I'll post my recipe for chocolate-chip oatmeal cookie bars, which usually vanish in ~3 days:)


Until Next Time,


Ashley

19 comments:

  1. yumm, sounds delicious

    thanks for visiting my blog, hope you return soon

    now following ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sure will! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I love Spanish Rice!! Hope to try your recipe soon!

    Wida
    Missing Amsie Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds agood recipe! I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sounds very good! Maybe I'll try it!
    Kiss**

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband is a taco fanatic, I will have to try your spice mixture, it looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy yummy, even when I thought it was more easier to make. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so good and I love that it's vegetarian :)

    xo,
    Angela
    headtotoechic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything I make is vegetarian:) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  8. Great recipe. Enjoy spring break.


    http://myminibag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pre-made seasonings at the store are always too salty - what are the creators thinking?! Thank you for the recipe - I love Morningside crumbles and can't wait to try this out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like a great recipe, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I read and respond to all my lovely comments. Leave a link to your blog so I can come visit! Thank you<3